The homeowner’s worst nightmare is having termites and not knowing it. The damage that termites can inflict is very frustrating and difficult to notice until it’s obvious. So how can a homeowner find out if they have termites.
There are a few early warning signs that you should look out for:
- Be on the lookout for blistering wood or paint. Termites will create moisture in areas of the wood tunnels in the nest. They also secrete moisture while eating and create hollow openings that nature naturally fills in. Warped or bending wood may be a sign of water damage or a sign of termites.
- They leave their wings behind. If you discover a lot of discarded wings near a window or door you might have termites. They swarm in the spring in warm areas and then they shed their wings.
- You might have a termite issue if you see swollen panels on the floor or walls. Termites live below the wood surfaces which can cause panels to swell and paint the bubble.
- Termite droppings are also a way to determine if you have an infestation. If you find a small pile of what looks like pellets in or outside the house it could be a sign of drywood termite infestation.
- Termites are noisy eaters. You might hear them munching on the wood inside of your walls. They also hit their head against the wall and shake their bodies when they feel danger is imminent. So you may be able to hear soldier termites alerting the rest of the colony.
These are just a few tips on what to look for if you think you have a termite issue. If you think an infestation is present you should quickly take care of it and call a termite specialist immediately. They will treat and remove them quickly and preserve the integrity of your home.